Pages

Labels

The Godfather (1972)

Genre: Dramas, Crime Dramas, Classics

Cast: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton

My Rating: 5/5

I was fairly new to Hollywood when i watched this movie, having seen action films like Rambo, Terminator etc.. during my childhood. Having heard about Marlon Brando as a big actor in Hollywood, when i saw the opening scene in which a business man talks about his daughter's health condition to the Don, his acting was so good that i immediately mistook him for Marlon Brando. Such was the acting by all the characters in the movie that makes it a powerful and engaging movie.

This movie truly is the godfather of all the mobster movies. Though it is almost a three hour movie, i can still watch this anytime. There are some memorable quotes in the movie like "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse", "A man who never spends time with his family can never be a real man" etc.. to name a few. The real strength of the movie was that each and every character played their role to perfection. Marlon Brando as the wise and ageing Don trying to keep his family business together, Al Pacino as the youngest son who doesn't want to be involved with the family's mafia business, the eldest son- i could really connect to him - an angry reckless guy, Robert Duvall as the lawyer who acts as an advisor to the Don's family, and the character Clemenza, everyone stands out. I think maybe this is one of the earliest movies where mobs are shown as the lead characters and yet you tend to love the movie. Kudos to director Francis Ford Coppola, uncle of actor Nicholas Coppola(known as Nicolas Cage in Hollywood).


3 comments:

  1. Yepp. To add even a few more- "I want somebody good to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of the toilet with just his dick in his hands". i think this may be from the sequel "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer" and something like " You see how i spoiled my kids. They talk when they should be listening". ah..I am going to watch it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely it is one of the most influential movies ever made.
    "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" - Best quote. This may look very straight and simple but man... it has got a real vigor in it.

    This movie has got its own uniqueness, beautiful Screenplay and best of the dialogues (Thanks to the Sub Titles Of-course..) and I could barely relate to native gangster movies since I started off little late with much Hollywood movies then. May be it is because of the subtle play of the Don (Marlon Brando) but still holding the arrogance and ruthlessness.

    I heard that Marlon Brando turned down the Oscar for this movie. As Navin said, casting is picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw half of the movie yesterday. Still very interesting. Probably the native town scenes in Italy are the only boring scenes in the movie.

    ReplyDelete